Language: English
Author: Day T.F.
Genre: Dictionary
Publisher: DigiCat
ISBN: 8596547347569
Format: PDF
Quality: eBook
Pages count: 117
Description: In THIS book is the response to a constant appeal for information. During the last nine years I have received thousands of letters, asking for hints on all manner of subjects relating to the care, handling, buying and equipping of small yachts. The majority of these letters came from boys and young men living throughout the world, who were just entering the sport, and who were anxious to become skillful sailors and competent skippers. I can thoroughly understand their position, and sympathize with their desire for fuller and more practical knowledge than that contained in the majority of works upon yachting. What knowledge I possess of this art, or profession, I have gained by years of hard work and close observation, and having begun my studies when very young can testify to the dearth of literature of value to the green hand, who is looking for practical hints that will help him to become a skillful yacht sailor. Had I possessed a book like this, it would have saved me time, money and lots of hard work and anxiety. But, in using this book, it must be remembered that a hint is not a law or a command, it is simply a concise statement for you to take, think over, and make use of, if it appears to be logical and practical. There may be better and easier ways of doing many of these things I speak of—that is for you to find out. I am an authority only as far as my knowledge goes, and no further. The basis of my authority is my years of observation and experience; your right to confute my findings can only be based on similar premises. Unless you have tried and proved that my instructions are wrong, they are still good medicine. If a man, especially a young one, decide to go into yachting, he should also decide to learn the business of handling these craft from the keel up. It is not sufficient, as many of you think, that all that is necessary is to learn how to sail a boat about. You should know not only how to sail her, but you should know why she sails, and all about the gear and canvas used to propel her. You should learn to rig and unrig, to care for and to understand every part of her structure, both above and below decks. It is certainly a sorry spectacle to see a man sailing a yacht who cannot tie a proper knot, splice a rope, or bend a sail, and who does not know the terms used to designate parts of the structure which he essays to manage. If he is ashamed to learn, or if he is too lazy to gather such knowledge, he is out a place in a sport which is the life and joy of energetic, skillful and brave men. I hope all of my boys the world over who are coming into yachting, and to assist whom I have written these words, will never be ashamed to learn the sailor’s trade, or be too lazy to acquire all possible knowledge relating to the art of handling vessels. You will never regret having given your time to the study. It will bring to you that which is more valuable than the treasures of the earth; something that you can never be deprived of, no matter how unlucky or how unfortunate you may be—the respect paid to the skillful by the unskillful; the deference shown to the educated by the ignorant. It is as well to say here that these hints are not intended for men owning and sailing large yachts. Such vessels are too costly to be trusted in the hands of any men except those who are thoroughly competent; and if an owner has not sufficient skill to handle a large yacht it is his business to hire somebody who has. These hints are intended for the small-boat owner and skipper.

Contents

Screenshots

Day T.F. Hints to Young Yacht Skippers, 2022

Скачать [6 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Hints to young yacht skippers - Day T.F. [1904, PDF]
Pass Your Day Skipper 7th edition - Fairhall D. [2023, PDF]
Seamanship for Yachtsmen - Francis B. Cooke [1923, PDF]
Practical Boat-Sailing - A Concise and Simple Treatise - Frazar D. [2022, PDF/EPUB]
How to Sail - a Complete Handbook of the Art of Sailing for the Novice and the Old Hand - Lane C.D.…
A manual of yacht and boat sailing. - Dixon Kemp [1900, PDF]
The Language of Sailing - Richard Mayne [2000, PDF]
Essentials of seamanship for cruising - John Watney [1980, PDF]
Sailing Big On A Small Sailboat - Jerry D. Cardwell [1997, PDF]
The hitchhikers guide to the oceans Crewing around the world - Alison Muir-Bennett, Clare Davis…
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 08:52

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3