Year: 2018
Language: english
Author: Anthony Edwards
Publisher: Singing Stone
Edition: Kindle
Format: PDF
Quality: eBook
Pages count: 314
Description: The original idea for this book was to write about one particular substandard and disaster prone motor yacht that I joined in Belgium and delivered to Cannes via the Belgium and French canals. The mishaps that we endured are almost unbelievable for a brand new vessel. It all began on the first day we left the safety of the port and both rudders snapped off in the North Sea. As I was writing this book, it was suggested to me that I include tales of my errant childhood on a council estate and my years working on Thames steam tugs in my native Gravesend. I was 15 years old when I joined Ship Towage Ltd as cook. In this account I have endeavoured to capture the essence of life aboard with the tough, hardworking tugmen, the ever present potential dangers and the long hours worked, as well as the joys of living through the swinging sixties when the mind-set of “make love not war” predominated. The book also tells of how a chance viewing of a short film clip changed my life and inspired me to seek employment on an ocean racing yacht. This eventually led to me skippering private yachts in the Mediterranean. The events described in this book took place between 1958 and 1971 and with the exception of some names, nothing has been changed. The names of the Thames tugs are factual as are the names of the majority of the tugmen. The name Passing Fancy has replaced the true name of the motor yacht on which I travelled from Belgium to the Mediterranean and the names of some people have been changed.
Additional info: About the author:
Anthony Edwards was born in Gravesend, a town on the river Thames not far from London, and a hub of maritime activity. At the age of 15 he was looking for excitement and a life in the open air and started to work on the steam tugs based just down the road from where he lived. At that time there were only rudimentary comforts on board and it was a hard life. But he enjoyed the camaraderie among the crews and the constant excitement, and stayed there for 7 years.
However, since an early age he’d had the urge to travel. All those Saturday visits to the local cinema as a boy sitting enthralled at the wonders of the world beyond the UK borders. So, eventually he decided to change direction by qualifying as a yacht skipper, and ended up sailing to the Med and basing himself in the S. of France – where he still lives with his wife and thoroughly spoilt cat.

Contents

Screenshots

Paid to Live the Dream_ A Seafarer_s tale of life Afloat.pdf

Скачать [7 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

North-West by North - Birtles D. [1985, PDF]
Blue water - Wright L. [2010, EPUB]
Get Real, Get Gone - How to Become a Modern Sea Gypsy and Sail Away Forever - Page R., Tuta J.…
Sailing Wondertime - A Family Voyage from Seattle to New Zealand - Johnson S.D. [2018, EPUB]
World travel and adventures of a ships marine surveyer - Bob Ojala [2019, PDF]
The Prize (Donland Series Book 1) - Perry Comer [2013, EPUB]
66 Days Adrift: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Open Sea - William Butler [2005, PDF]
Eat Like a Fish: My Adventures as a Fisherman Turned Restorative Ocean Farmer - Bren Smith [2019,…
The Last Witness | The Black Sea Sinking Of MV Struma, February 24, 1942 (The Holocaust Series Book…
One Girl One Dream - Laura Dekker [2014, PDF]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 10:12

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3